Country Director at CorpsAfrica
Country Director at CorpsAfrica
- 1 Vacancy
- 214 Views
Employee typeFull Time
Founded in 2011, CorpsAfrica provides the opportunity for Africans to serve as volunteers in their own countries, along the lines of the Peace Corps model.
Peace Corps model. We train college-educated young Africans and send them to live for up to one year in rural, high-poverty communities to facilitate small-scale, high-impact projects that are identified by local people. CorpsAfrica aims to promote a culture of public service in Africa by giving participants the opportunity to apply their education, skills, and energy toward helping their fellow citizens overcome extreme poverty. www.corpsafrica.org
CorpsAfrica has steadily expanded operations from Morocco to Senegal, Malawi, Rwanda, Ghana, Kenya, Ethiopia, Uganda, and The Gambia. We are working to launch in two more countries in 2024, potentially Tanzania. As we reach a point of significant inflection leading to future expansion, we seek to add motivated, capable, and highly effective leaders to our team to support our next phase of growth.
Overview of the Position
CorpsAfrica is looking for a mission-focused, seasoned, strategic, and process-minded leader to launch the CorpsAfrica program in Tanzania. The Country Director will build the Tanzania program using the CorpsAfrica model and lessons learned across our other country programs. He or she must have a commitment to mission and strategic focus balanced with tolerance for risk and innovation. The successful candidate will possess a demonstrated passion and commitment to youth leadership, community-led development, impact evaluation, transparency, and accountability. The Tanzania Director will report directly to the Chief Executive Officer of CorpsAfrica.
Please Note: In 2024, CorpsAfrica plans to launch offices in two new countries selected from Benin, Côte d’Ivoire, South Africa, and Tanzania. We are currently seeking qualified applicants for Country Director positions in these locations, acknowledging the possibility of delaying the office launch to a subsequent year if Tanzania is not among the chosen countries for 2024. In such a scenario, we will promptly inform and re-engage all candidates when we are prepared to proceed starting the office in Tanzania.
SALARY AND BENEFITS: CorpsAfrica will provide a competitive, comprehensive benefits package for all staff in this Country Director role, according to local customs and regulations.
REPORTS TO: CorpsAfrica’s Chief Executive Officer
- Identify and hire strong staff members to manage Volunteer support, training, and other key positions.
- Manage a team of talented staff members and build an organizational culture in line with CorpsAfrica’s values
- Identify an office space and establish a functioning office
- Put in place policies and procedures to ensure effective and efficient operations.
- Register as an American NGO doing business in Tanzania.
- Oversee compliance with all laws and regulations.
- Build and manage a local Board of Directors for CorpsAfrica/Tanzania.
- Be responsible for strong financial oversight and management of budgets
- Oversee multiple aspects of the operation, including recruitment of the Volunteers, Volunteer site selection and development, pre- and in-service training programs; assignment of Volunteers to selected sites throughout the country, working with communities and appropriate government authorities at all levels, and supporting Volunteers throughout their service – offering guidance, mentorship, coaching, networking opportunities, etc.
- Raise funds for CorpsAfrica in Tanzania, which involves identifying and cultivating prospective donors, writing proposals, hosting events, extensive networking, etc.
- Represent the organization in public arenas, including local and national media
- Establish and maintain close working relationships with a diverse group of Development Partners
- Other responsibilities as assigned
Country Director Job Vacancy at CorpsAfrica
- A Bachelor’s degree and at least ten years of increasingly responsible management experience.
- Strong leadership skills, with a demonstrated commitment to facilitating people’s growth and development.
- Broad financial skills including experience with budgeting, planning and accounting.
- Excellent speaking and writing skills are required; computer skills are a big plus.
- A hands-on management style and the ability to address and solve problems as they arise.
- Passionate about youth employment and sustainable community-led development.
- Diplomatic, of the highest integrity, and possess sound judgment as well as a sense of humor.
- A deep understanding of the laws in Tanzania, government administrative protocols, local cultural norms, and its people.
- Fluency in English and French and a local language of Tanzania is required.
- A valid driver’s license is helpful.
Dar es Salaam, TZ
Dar es Salaam, TZ
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
2 months ago
24 Jan, 2024